Tips for Visiting a Franchise Trade Show
If you're visiting a trade shows here are some facts and advice of which you should be aware.
On June 18th the largest franchise trade show in the United States opens up at the Javitts Center in NYC. The promotional ads announce 400
exhibitors; however, about 325 are actual franchises. The rest include suppliers, consultants, franchise associations and some government agencies. In
terms of franchise opportunities, this show is not comparable to some shows in other countries; however, in the U.S. it's the largest.
Having exhibited at franchise shows for many years, here are some facts and tips for those who are planning to attend:
- In terms of franchise candidates I've found there are three types of attendees; those who know what they are looking for, those who have already
considered some franchise opportunities and those who have no idea what type of franchise they are interested in but are there to take a look. Which slot
do you fall into?
- A large number of the franchise exhibitors will be start-up or emerging franchise concepts. If you're smitten by one of these concepts keep in mind
that a start-up franchise has little if any track record to rely upon. A new franchise requires considerable due-diligence.
- The number of franchises at the show will represent less than 10% of all the franchise opportunities in the U.S.
- If you're a serious franchise candidate I would suggest you take a quick tour of the show, then go back to those franchise concepts, that interest
you the most to gain more information.
- If you see some franchise opportunities that interest you keep in mind that there may be similar franchises not exhibiting at the show,
A franchise trade show can provide an opportunity to see some franchise opportunities in person and speak with a representative. However, remember if you
don't find a concept that piques your interest, you've seen a small number out of several thousand franchise opportunities.
© 2015 FranchiseKnowHow, LLC
Ed Teixeira is the President of FranchiseKnowHow.com and Chief Operating
Officer, FranchiseGrade.com. He is a former
franchise executive and franchisee. He can be contacted at 631-246-5782 or