10 Tips for Good Leadership
Franchisors and franchisees can use these 10 tips to enhance their leadership skills.
Although there have been numerous books and article written on the topic of leadership, there are certain attributes that effective managers and leaders
possess. Whether you're a member of a franchisor staff managing others or a franchisee responsible for operating your franchise, the following can improve
Prepare Subordinates for the Job-
It's important that every employee understand what their job is and they are properly trained to fulfill their responsibilities. It's unfair to a company
and the employee to put someone in a position without the proper preparation.
2. Act Like a Coach - Good leaders use coaching techniques, when needed. This requires being aware of what is happening in your
organization. Good coaching can improve the performance of subordinates by communicating areas that need improvement.
3. Display Enthusiasm - It's important for a manager to display a high level of energy. Energy can be infectious to subordinates, while a
lack of energy and enthusiasm can have the opposite effect.
4. Professionalism- Treat everyone with respect and courtesy. Conduct yourself in a manner that generates respect and admiration from your
5. Display Business Maturity- Address difficult challenges and situations with control. Maintain a coolness that will
demonstrate to subordinates, that you are in charge.
6. Put Ego Aside- Don't let your ego control your actions or decisions. Be willing to listen to others and recognize that other people can
offer positive suggestions.
7. Display Self Confidence - It's important that subordinates view their leader or manager as confident. They will place their trust in
someone who displays a level of confidence and is not afraid to make a decision.
8. Recognize Accomplishments by Subordinates- People want to be recognized and the act of recognizing those who make a positive
contribution can encourage their colleagues.
9. Willingness to Make Hard Decisions- It's important for a leader to make difficult decisions without guilt and hesitation. If a leader
hesitates in their decision making, it can negatively impact their effectiveness.
10. Offer Constructive Criticism- One of the flaws that some managers have is the unwillingness to critique the performance of their
subordinates. People have a right to know if they are meeting expectations and effective leaders fill this need.
Effective leaders and managers must motivate others and instill confidence on the part of their subordinates. Following these 10 keys can help to improve
the leadership skills of those responsible for managing others.
© 2015 FranchiseKnowHow, LLC
Ed Teixeira is the President of FranchiseKnowHow.com and Chief Operating
Officer, FranchiseGrade.com. He is a former
franchise executive and franchisee. He can be contacted at 631-246-5782 or