For A Winning Franchise Program Be Sure to Have Top Notch Operations Staff
In order to have a successful
franchise program itís important to have a competent staff
After spending 35 years in the franchise industry, I still consider myself to be an "Operations Guy." My franchise responsibilities began as a regional
director responsible for a franchise network that was one thousand miles from franchisor headquarters. This initial foray into franchising taught me a
great deal about how to administer and deal with a group of franchisees. My duties included marketing, franchisee support and dispute resolution. I was
fortunate to have this position as my introduction to franchising. To this day, I still consider so called "Franchise Operations" to be one of the most
important activities in a franchise system.
With the hundreds of diverse franchise concepts in the US the responsibilities of franchise operations can vary depending upon the franchise. However, I've
outlined the qualifications and key responsibilities of franchise operations, some of which may not fit every system.
1. Fundamental business skills and experience
2. Good communication and people skills
3. Decision making represents a degree of maturity
4. Experience in franchising or network field support
1. Assist in new franchise selection process
2. Participate in new franchisee training
3. Support during grand opening
4. Periodic visits or contact with franchisees
5. Obtain and report franchisee feedback from time to time. Can be positive or negative.
6. Franchise system compliance and documentation
7. Participate in dispute resolution process
An important function in a franchise organization is the role of franchise operations. Having qualified, experienced and mature business people, who can
function in franchise operations, is a critical component of a successful franchise operation.
© 2015 FranchiseKnowHow, LLC
Ed Teixeira is the President of FranchiseKnowHow.com and Chief Operating
Officer, FranchiseGrade.com. He is a former
franchise executive and franchisee. He can be contacted at 631-246-5782 or